Recipe by CountryLady
This is a family favourite from an old BH&G cookbook. I normally use sole, but you can substitute with whatever fish you prefer or is available.
Top Review by Katanashrp
I like this dish a lot and will definitely make it again but next time I'll skip the cornstarch step since I didn't have that much liquid in the pan so it clumped up a bit, but that could have been my mistake. Thank you.
- 6 fish fillets, fresh or frozen
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (or 1 small can, drained)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tomatoes, peeled,seeded & coarsely chopped or 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, drained & chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant vegetable bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw fish, if frozen.
- Sprinkle each fillet with salt& pepper.
- Roll up fillets& secure with tooth pick.
- Cook onion, garlic& mushrooms In butter or margarine in a large skillet for about 5 minutes.
- Add wine, tomatoes, parsley, sugar& bouillon and bring to a boil.
- Add fish, reduce heat, cover& simmer for 15- 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily.
- Remove fish to a platter, cover& keep warm.
- Boil skillet mixture, uncovered, til reduced to about 1 1/2 cups.
- Combine water& corn starch& add to skillet.
- Cook, stirring constantly,'til mixture is thickened& bubbly.
- Spoon sauce over fish.