1/3 Photos of Fish Florentine
1 hr 10 mins
The Flying Chef's Note:
Florentine is just the expression given to a dish paired with spinach, so you can have steak Florentine or chicken. I have listed this as fish Florentine rather than stating a particular kind, as I usually make this with sole, but I have made it with cod, and this time I made it with perch. The sauce I think works well with most kinds of firm white fish so take your pick and make your favourite.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 800 g frozen spinach or 1 -1 1/4 kg fresh spinach
- 4 fish fillets (a firm white fish sole, bass, cod etc.)
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced thinly
- 1 small brown onion, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1/2 cup gruyere, grated
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 -3 tablespoons parmesan cheese (extra to sprinkle over the top.)
- 1You will want get the potatoes on first as these take the longest.
- 3In a medium bowl mix potatoes with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in roasting pan with garlic cloves and cook in 200c oven for 30-40 minutes.
- 4Serve potatoes and garlic on the side and sprinkle with mint.
- 5For the Fish.
- 6In a saucepan bring some water to a boil and add spinach, for fresh cook until just wilted, for frozen cook until thawed, drain, let it cool and then squeeze excess liquid out.
- 7In a pan combine oil and butter and heat, add onions and cook until soft, add mushrooms and garlic, cook until mushrooms are slightly browned and soft set to one side.
- 8For the Sauce.
- 9Heat milk in a pan, add cayenne, nutmeg and paprika. When milk is almost boiling mix a little water with cornflour and pour into milk, stirring until mixture thickens.
- 10Add the cheeses, reserving the few tablespoons of Parmesan for the top, stir until melted.
- 11Poaching fish.
- 12In a large pan mix wine with herbs, add fish and poach for about 8 minutes until fish flakes but is not falling apart.
- 14Mix mushroom and onion mixture into spinach, spoon into the bottom of a casserole dish covering the bottom.
- 15Lay fish fillets on top of the spinach, Pour the sauce over fillets, sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- 16Grill until browned on top and bubbling.
- 17While I am grilling fish I put my potatoes over low heat on stove top to keep warm.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fish Florentine
Serving Size: 1 (780 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 720.7
- Calories from Fat 264
- Total Fat 29.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 139.7 mg
- Sodium 530.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.4 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 63.7 g