1/1 Photo of Fish and Fungi (British Virgin Islands)
This recipe was featured on week 37 of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook one meal from every nation on Earth, and the British Virgin Islands is my 37th stop. Unless otherwise noted, my Travel by Stove recipes are taken from authentic or traditional sources, and this recipe has been posted without any alternations or additions to the ingredients. Personal note: I thought this dish was pretty bland, and probably would not make it again.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the fish
- 2 1/4 lbs firm white fish
- 1/2 teaspoon Accent seasoning
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon margarine
- 1 medium onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons lemons or 4 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 lime, sliced
For the fungi
- 1To make the fish, put all the ingredients into a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat, simmering for 20 to 30 minutes or until the fish flakes with a fork. Garnish with sliced lime.
- 2To make the fungi, bring the water to a boil and add the frozen okra.
- 3In a separate bowl, blend 2 tbsp of the cornmeal with about 6 tbsp water. Pour into the pot with the boiling water and okra and let cook for one minute.
- 4Slowly pour the rest of the cornmeal into the pan, stirring constantly. Add the butter and salt and pepper, continuing to cook for 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Caribbean Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Caribbean Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fish and Fungi (British Virgin Islands)
Serving Size: 1 (521 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 489.7
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 160.7 mg
- Sodium 254.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 51.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: