Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Finnish Coffee Bread for a 2 lb. breadmaker on dough setting, but can also be made in a 1 1/2 lb breadmaker. Prep time includes rising time. Recipe adapted from recipe printed on genealogia.org)
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm milk
- 2 eggs, divided (beaten)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 6 -8 whole crushed cardamom
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
- Put all the ingredients in the bread machine on the dough setting, in the order specified for your machine.
- When the dough cycle completes, remove, divide in half and then split each part into 3 equal pieces.
- Roll into long strands (18" long), and braid strands into 2 loaves.
- Put loaves on greased cookie sheets.
- Let rise until doubled in size (30 minutes). Brush with second egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Immediately after taking them out of the oven, remove from pans. Cool on racks.
Bravo! A great recipe that is so tasty. Thanks for sharing it.
I used 8 cardamom pods. It gave a great taste to the bread. The texture of the bread is great. Thanks ellie :) Made for PRMR tag game
Erinomainen leipÃ¤ koneistaa ohje! (Outstanding bread machine recipe! In Finnish.) Put both eggs in and later understood that the one egg was supposed to be reserved for Step 3. The dough is very sticky and next time would add 1/4 cup of lour. I did not do the sugar glaze as we love toast and this makes great toast. Thank you ellie for a keeper. Made for Unrulies Under the Influence during ZWT6.