Recipe by diner524
A recipe from All About British Food.com. Posting for ZWT6. Sounds wonderful.
Top Review by LifeIsGood
Sooooooo good! I absolutely loved the combination of flavors. I wasn't sure I'd like the turnip mash, but I really did! Plus, how can you go wrong with steak and mushrooms. Great combination. I will make this again. Thank you! P.S. I did set aside a bit of steak for my husband. He likes his steak simply grilled. Me? I was in heaven with this recipe! ~Made for ZWT6 Zee Zanies~
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, peeled
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 10 ounces beef stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs steak fillets (four steaks)
- 4 flat mixed mushrooms, wiped
- 1 lb turnip, peeled
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) gas mark 5. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a moderate heat. Add the onion, carrot, thyme and bay leaf. Saute for 2 - 3 minutes before pouring in the red wine and beef stock.
- Reduce the sauce by two thirds. Strain and adjust the seasonings with sugar and salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan over a moderate heat. Brown the seasoned beef on all sides. Remove the beef from the saucepan and add the mushrooms and cook for 2 - 3 minutes on both sides.
- Cook the turnips in boiling salty water until just tender. Drain well and mash with the milk and cream and keep hot.
- Put the beef into an oven proof dish and pour over the sauce and cook for 15 - 20 minutes (or until your prefence is required), covered.
- Arrange the mushrooms on a serving plate, top with a little turnip puree then the beef.
- Pour over the sauce. Garnish with a little thyme.