Recipe by KellyC
My ex-mother-in-law gave me this recipe. It is decadent and delicious and I use it whenever I find beef tenderloin on sale. Perfect for an impressive dinner party.
- 1 (6 lb) tenderloin filet of beef, well trimmed
- 6 medium mushrooms
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can beef gravy
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons shallots or 2 tablespoons onions
- 1⁄2 cup port wine or 1⁄2 cup madeira wine
- 1 lemon
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 4 TBL butter in roasting pan on medium heat.
- Add meat to the hot butter and brown it lightly on all sides.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and set aside, covered with foil, until 30 minutes before serving time.
- Wash, dry and slice the mushrooms.
- Peel shallots or onions and chop enough to measure 2 TBL. In a medium skillet, melt 1 TBL butter. Add mushrooms and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper . Add shallots or onions. Cook, stirring, until the liquid is reduced.
- Add the can of beef gravy and 1/2 cup of wine.
- Cook stirring until sauce is hot.
- Taste and correct for seasoning then add a squeeze of fresh lemon.
- Set the sauce aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450F; place the browned filet in the preheated oven and roast 25 to 30 minutes for rare.
- To test for doneness, pierce the meat to the center with a fork.
- If the juices are red, it’s rare.
- If pink it's medium.
- Don't overcook the meat!
- Transfer the meat to a serving dish, keep warm and allow to rest while you finish the sauce.
- Pour off most of the fat from the roasting pan.
- Add the mushroom sauce to the roasting pan over medium heat, stirring to incorporate the brown bits from the pan.
- Add 2 TBL butter and stir until butter is barely melted.
- Spoon some of the sauce over the meat and serve the rest on the side with the meat as it is sliced.