Recipe by momaphet
This soup cooks up quickly, and is warming and delicious. It comes from the Simply Classic Cookbook by the Jr League of Seattle. Prep time doesn't include cooking the chicken. As quick as this is to make, save even more time by using the meat from a roasted chicken bought at your local grocer. If you cook chicken breasts for the recipe (2-3 halves) add onion, garlic and s & p to the water. This chowder is very mild, if you like spicy add more tabasco, or a diced jalepeno, or substitute some Pepper Jack cheese in place of Montery Jack A cold beer or glass of white wine is perfect with this.
Top Review by Mrs Goodall
I really enjoyed this versatile soup. I think next time I will add the chicken to the top of the soup when serving. So easy to customize this recipe with additions when serving. Thanks for posting! Made for Culinary Quest 2015.
- 2 cups frozen corn, cooked
- 2 (14 3/4 ounce) cans creamed corn
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups whole milk, see note
- 2 cups chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- tortilla chips
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot over medium heat, saute onion in butter until tender -do not brown, add garlic and cook for one minute more.
- Puree all the corn with the chicken broth in a blender, add to onions and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add the rest of ingredients and stir until cheese melts, simmer about 10 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve with a few tortilla chips broken over the top, you could also top with black olives or salsa,.
- I will often buy whole milk for this recipe, but will also mix some half and half into non-fat milk. It would probably be fine with just the lower fat milk, but not as rich.