Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe which I found in a 'Healthy Eating' magazine, can be a main dish or a side dish with a simple meat dish eg. grilled steak or chicken breast. Serve as soon as cooked or the sauce will thicken too much on standing and will need thinning with a splash of hot water. Use more garlic if you like :) I do !!
- 500 g fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion (diced)
- 1 garlic clove (chopped or use 1tsp crushed from a jar)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 300 g mushrooms (sliced)
- 3⁄4 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1 cup warm water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
- Cook fettuccine acording to packet instructions or cook as instructed in recipe#30358.
- Heat oil in a large frypan and saute the onion & garlic until golden. (If using garlic from a jar add just before onion is cooked to save spitting).
- Add paprika and mushrooms and simmer uncovered until mushrooms are soft.
- Place cashew nuts, water and lemon juice in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Stir cashew mixture into the mushrooms and heat through.
- Drain the cooked pasta and stir through the cashew and mushroom sauce and sprinkle with the chopped parsley.
Very agreeable. I used oyster, cremini (baby bellas), shiitake, and white mushrooms. Next time, I'd use more--I prefer a more even ratio between the pasta and the veggies. I'll also use penne or some other bite-sized pasta, and I might consider using milk instead of water for the sauce--or something to make the sauce a little saucier, something that won't completely absorb into the pasta.