This is adapted from "Emeril at the Grill", a cookbook I enjoy very much. I used this spread on lamb burgers, but it would also be great as a vegetable dip (thinned a bit) or a sandwich spread. The original recipe calls for mint, which I don't care for, so I replaced it with basil. Cooking time does not include time to chill.
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temp
- 1⁄2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons green onions (green part only)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl, and blend well. Taste for seasoning, and add more salt or cayenne if needed.
- Refrigerate, covered, for at least an hour before serving.
Very good. Loved the saltiness of the feta with the citrus and the bit of a bite from the cayenne. I used basil, as written, but when my mint is growing next summer, I will try that, as we like the flavor in dishes like this. Great as part of an appetizer dinner tonight. Made for Fall 2011 PAC game.
This was a nice spread that I used as a dip for some crackers and baby carrots. I did quarter the recipe easily. Thanks! Made for PRMR game.