- 500 g potatoes
- 50 g flour
- 1 salmon fillet, skinned
- 1 egg
- 1 sweet red pepper, very finely diced
- 100 g feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chives
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the potatoes, cut into chunks and boil until tender.
- Drain and mash (without butter or milk) until smooth and leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, put a little of the oil in a frying pan and when it is heated, add the red pepper and salmon fillet.
- Use a fork to break the salmon into pieces, then cook the fish until it is flaky and the red pepper until it is soft, about five minutes.
- When the mash is cool, season it generously with black pepper and then sift the flour over the top.
- Use a wooden spoon to mix the flour in until it disappears.
- Whisk the egg and add it to the mixture, stirring well.
- Crumble the feta over the top and snip the chives into the bowl.
- Finally add the red pepper and salmon and stir again to mix evenly.
- Dust your hands with flour and form the mixture into patties.
- You can make 12 cookie sized patties or 6 larger cakes.
- Add the rest of the oil to the frying pan and, when very hot, lay out some of the potato cakes but be careful not to overcrowd the pan.
- Fry for three minutes to form a thin, crisp layer, then carefully turn to cook the other side.
- Keep warm in the oven while you finish cooking.
- Serve dusted with parmesan and sprinkled with a few extra chives.
- By the way, if you find forming the patties difficult, you can also just drop the potato mixture into the pan for more irregular but less messy fish cakes.