Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Serve this with a nice green salad to complete the meal. It is one of my favourite weekend treats.
Make and share this Feta Salmon Fishcakes recipe from Food.com.
- 500 g potatoes
- 50 g flour
- 1 salmon fillet, skinned
- 1 egg
- 1 sweet red pepper, very finely diced
- 100 g feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chives
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Peel the potatoes, cut into chunks and boil until tender.
- Drain and mash (without butter or milk) until smooth and leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, put a little of the oil in a frying pan and when it is heated, add the red pepper and salmon fillet.
- Use a fork to break the salmon into pieces, then cook the fish until it is flaky and the red pepper until it is soft, about five minutes.
- When the mash is cool, season it generously with black pepper and then sift the flour over the top.
- Use a wooden spoon to mix the flour in until it disappears.
- Whisk the egg and add it to the mixture, stirring well.
- Crumble the feta over the top and snip the chives into the bowl.
- Finally add the red pepper and salmon and stir again to mix evenly.
- Dust your hands with flour and form the mixture into patties.
- You can make 12 cookie sized patties or 6 larger cakes.
- Add the rest of the oil to the frying pan and, when very hot, lay out some of the potato cakes but be careful not to overcrowd the pan.
- Fry for three minutes to form a thin, crisp layer, then carefully turn to cook the other side.
- Keep warm in the oven while you finish cooking.
- Serve dusted with parmesan and sprinkled with a few extra chives.
- By the way, if you find forming the patties difficult, you can also just drop the potato mixture into the pan for more irregular but less messy fish cakes.
Nice fishcakes for a spring day. Served with Greek salad. Will add more feta.
Great recipe. The only change I made: I didn't "pre-cooked" the salmon, just cut it into small pieces and gave it to the mashed potatoes. I like salmon, when it is not completely done. I fry the cakes for 3 minutes each side and after cooking I pat them dry with paper towels to remove oil from frying. The flavours of the fishcakes were well blended, but you can still taste the different ingredients, the salmon, the feta, the red pepper, and potatoes. I served the cakes with a thick tomato slices and lettuce as a different kind of burgers. What a great change to 'normal' fish burgers. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
We really enjoyed this recipe. I didn't make any changes to the original recipe. I served with Cilantro-Lime Tartar Sauce on the side. Very yummy!