Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Bon Appetit, July, 2007. These newfangled burgers are stuffed with feta cheese. Pressing the center of the raw hamburger to form a slight indentation prevents the burger from puffing up in the center when cooking. Here for safe keeping and sharing.
- 3 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup feta cheese, packed, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 8 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 medium red onions, peeled, each cut crosswise into 4 slices
- 8 hamburger buns
- 2 large tomatoes, each cut crosswise into 4 slices
- Break up beef in large bowl.
- Sprinkle feta, oregano, salt, and pepper over (meat); toss.
- Divide into 8 portions; form each into 4 1/2-inch burgers, pressing in center to form slight indentation. *DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.
- Puree garlic in processor; With machine running, gradually add 1/2 cup oil; process 30 seconds. *DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.
- Spray grill rack with nonstick spray.
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat).
- Brush onion with 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place burgers and onions on grill. Cover; cook 5 minutes.
- Turn onions and burgers; cook until onions are charred in spots and burgers are medium-well, about 4 minutes longer.
- Transfer to plate. Brush cut sides of buns with garlic oil and place buns, cut side down, on grill; toast about 1 minute.
- Turn buns; cook until heated, about 1 minute.
- Place burgers on bun bottoms and top each with onion, tomato, and bun top.
The burgers were delicious. I used flavoured feta cheese and added some garlic in the beef.
I said to my grill, "Open Sesame" and this appeared...and that's a whole lotta gorgeous right there. Made for Alphabet Soup Tag.
Very tasty burgers!