In 30 minutes or less you have not only a wonderful tasting salad but a beautiful salad. I make this for the holidays. Really looks and taste great and everyone loves it.
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves or 2 minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vinaigrette
- 1⁄2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced yellow pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, slivered
- Rinse the rice under cold running water until the water runs clear. Drain thoroughly.
- Place the rice, chicken broth and water in a heavy saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring gently to keep the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- When the water is boiling rapidly, stop stirring, cover the pan with the lid and turn the heat down to low. Let cook, without lifting the lid, for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, lift the lid to release the steam, and replace it immediately. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes and serve.
- Meanwhile, crush the garlic with the salt making a rough paste. Add the garlic paste to the vinaigrette and let stand for at least 15 minutes to combine flavors.
- Add the vinaigrette to the cooled rice and toss with the vegetables.