Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Tirana Fergese is the national dish of Albania, this is a vegetarian version made with peppers, tomatoes, and cheese.
- 1⁄2 lb green peppers or 1⁄2 lb red pepper
- 1 lb tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb cottage cheese (salted) or 1⁄2 lb feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- fresh ground black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- Peel the skins off the tomatoes and peppers; saute tomatoes and peppers in oil for about 5 to 7 minutes, then set aside to cool.
- Dice vegetables.
- Melt the butter in another saucepan; stir in flour, cottage or feta cheese, salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste.
- Mix cheese mixture with vegetables and place in a pre-heated 350 degree F oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.