Recipe by MajKaj
This is a modified version from the Moosewood Low-fat Favorite Cookbook. This is a flavorful dish that works well over rice on cool autumn evenings. Easy to make. Don't skimp on the herb measurements... this is a flavorful (but NOT too spicy) dish.
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (any color)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon deli prepared mustard or 1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a soup pot, saute onions and garlic in oil until onions are tender.
- Add the carrots, celery, bell pepper, oregano, thyme, basil, marjoram and crushed red-pepper. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomatoes, kidney beans, mustard, maple syrup and parsley. Simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Server as a soup in bowls or over rice.