Recipe by CAMom49
I modified this recipe from one on Raleys.com recipe center. The dough is quite simple to assemble - the only electric appliance used is a blender to puree the raisins. The cookies are a tasty nosh of "melt in your mouth" spicy treats. Have a cold glas of milk or a cup of hot tea and make it a party!
Top Review by cyclegal
Just made this recipe. Didn't even have to go to the store. Recipe is easy, texture is chewy with crunchy edges. All in all, it's to die for! If you didn't know, you'd never believe it's fat-free.
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄3 cup hot coffee
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dark molasses
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute or 2 egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Puree raisins and hot coffee in blender until smooth.
- Transfer raisin/coffee mixture to a large bowl.
- Add egg substitute, molasses and sugar to raisin mixture and blend together.
- Add cinnamon, ginger, cloves to bowl and stir.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt to blended raisin mixture and stir together by hand until all ingredients are incorporated. Note, this is easier to do by hand using a table knife or a spatula than it would be to tax a small hand mixer.
- Cover the mixture with plastic wrap and chill the dough for 2 - 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Scoop dough by rounded tablespoons and roll into a ball. Roll the dough balls in the 1/4 cup sugar to coat and place on ungreased cookie sheet 2" apart.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until set, but still soft in the center.
- Cool for 1 minute, then remove from cookie sheets and let cool completely on a baking rack.