Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I've made other barley soups and this what I threw together from best of those recipes.
Make and share this Fast Mushroom and Barley Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 10 ounces mushrooms, fresh and diced, thin sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking barley
- In a large saucepan heat your oil over medium heat.
- Sauté your onion, carrot, and celery for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic/leek and mushrooms and sauté mixture for 5 more minutes.
- Mix the flour, parsley, salt, pepper together.
- Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture and cook for 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the broths and bring to a fast boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add barley and cook for 10 minutes or until barely is tender.