Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an ideal dish to prepare ahead of time, then pop it in the oven to reheat at meal-time. OR skip the oven part altogether if you can work quickly and get the cheese into the spuds while they're toasty hot (so the cheese melts). Original recipe comes from "Best of Country Cooking 2003" by Reiman Publications with my own personal tweakings (of course)!
- 5 lbs potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 3 green onions
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded, DIVIDED
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Place potatoes in large pot, cover with water; boil until fork-tender.
- While that is cooking, fry bacon; drain & crumble; slice onions; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350; grease a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside.
- Drain the potatoes, dump into mixing bowl, add sour cream, milk, butter, salt & pepper; beat on medium-low until light and fluffy.
- Stir in TWO cups cheese, bacon crumbles, and onion slices.
- Transfer mixture to prepared dish, sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake (UNCOVERED) for 30 minutes OR heated through--cheese will be melted & bubbly.
Like twice baked potatoes in mashed potato form! This is really good, although I may reduce the bacon and cheese just a bit.....I know....reduce bacon and cheese? I just thought it might lower the fat content a bit, without effecting the overall taste.
This made a good potato dish for our dinner tonight. It also made mashed potatoes for a topping on another dish I am making tomorrow. I followed all ingredients except for the green onions. DD doesn't like onions but I am sure the onions would have been great in this dish. Made for Favorite Recipes of 2010.
OMG these are so good! I made as is however did cut the recipe in half for DH and I. I made them up a couple hours ahead of time and reheated when the rest of the meal was in the oven. So creamy and cheese and I like the bite from the onions and salty bacon, will be making these more! Made for May 'Farm Cooking' with Andi Tag 5/2010.