This is an ideal dish to prepare ahead of time, then pop it in the oven to reheat at meal-time. OR skip the oven part altogether if you can work quickly and get the cheese into the spuds while they're toasty hot (so the cheese melts). Original recipe comes from "Best of Country Cooking 2003" by Reiman Publications with my own personal tweakings (of course)!
- Place potatoes in large pot, cover with water; boil until fork-tender.
- While that is cooking, fry bacon; drain & crumble; slice onions; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350; grease a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside.
- Drain the potatoes, dump into mixing bowl, add sour cream, milk, butter, salt & pepper; beat on medium-low until light and fluffy.
- Stir in TWO cups cheese, bacon crumbles, and onion slices.
- Transfer mixture to prepared dish, sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake (UNCOVERED) for 30 minutes OR heated through--cheese will be melted & bubbly.