Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
A good, old fashioned, mid-western cookie! We grew up eating these cookies. My grandma made them often! This recipe calls for melting the shortening and then creaming it with the sugar. I think that is the secret to making these cookies so crispy and light!
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups oatmeal (uncooked)
- 2 cups corn flakes (either one works nicely) or 2 cups crisp rice cereal (either one works nicely)
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Melt shortening, pour over sugars. Mix well.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Stir dry ingredients together and add to sugar mixture. Mix lightly.
- Add oatmeal, cereal, coconut, chocolate chips, and nuts and mix well.
- Drop by tablespoon on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 to 12 minutes.
- I use my cookie scoop and get 4 dozen yummy cookies!
These cookies are delicious! I followed the recipe for the most part, with a few exceptions. 1 - I did not have shortening so I used butter instead and they came out great! I also added about a cup of peanut butter to the mixture as well because I wanted to use these cookies for hiking and post running snacks, plus I just love peanut butter! I also added a dash of cinnamon on top of the cookies just before putting them in the oven for a little spice with all the sweetness. Other than that I added all of the suggested nuts (walnuts), chocolate and coconut and used chocolate rice cereal and they are now my ab favorite cookie!
I had to make a couple alterations based on what I had - used 1/3 cup each of butter and butter-flavored shortening, 1/2 cup white-whole wheat flour, crisped rice, and skipped the coconut and nuts - and these are great! They still came out quite crispy/crunchy even with less fat, and the recipe count was spot-on. I didn't grease the cookie sheets & they were fine. Will definitely make again - thank you!
I made these fabulous cookies with butter instead of vegetable shortning. Also, I only had chocolate corn flakes which added a really nice color to the beautiful texture. These were simply wonderful and wonderfully simple!! Good job Theresa P!!!