Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Great chili for the whole family including kids. Not too spicy and has the right amount of beans. Also "hides" a lot of veggies. Add more chili powder to make it more spicy. This is a big recipe, so great to make ahead and freeze for future meals
- 1133.98 g extra lean ground beef
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 celery ribs, diced
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 29.58 ml chili powder
- 14.79 ml cumin
- 9.85 ml salt
- 9.85 ml pepper
- 9.85 ml onion powder
- 793.78 g can kidney beans, drained
- 2 (1587.57 g) can diced tomatoes
- 155.92 g can tomato paste
- 59.14 ml brown sugar
- 59.14 ml apple cider vinegar
- 1. Place a large pot over med-high heat.
- 2. Cook meat until browned, drain in a colander and put aside.
- 3. In same pot, sautee the onion in the oil for 3-4 minute.
- 4. Add garlic, celery, green peppers and zucchini and sautee for another 5 to 8 minutes.
- 5. Mix the chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and onion powder together.
- 6. Add the spice mix to the veggies and stir to combine well.
- 7. Add the meat back into the pot and stir.
- 8. Add the remaining ingredients (kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar and apple cider vinegar). Still to combine.
- 9. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 1 hour.
I cut the amount of Chili powder in half. Used crushed tomatoes instead of diced and substituted a 1/4 cup of Pacific creamy tomato soup for the tomato soup. Perfect for my 5 yr old!
This recipe is very good, and the directions made it very easy. I have 4 boys and it was a big hit with them, except that they thought it was a little too spicy. So, next time I will either add 1/2 the Chili Powder, or stir in some sour cream to their portion if I don't want to adjust the recipe. I left out the green peppers, because I knew they would reject the chili if they tasted them. I also peeled the zucchini. We enjoyed this recipe very much! I would definitely make it again. Thank you, mccu.