Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Warm and wonderful! I have tasted many chicken tortilla soups that were very good, but adapted this one to my own tastes. The fajita spiced chicken really makes it!
- 1 (16 ounce) package chicken breasts, diced (pre-marinated in fajita seasoning)
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 avocado, fresh sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) package monterey jack cheese
- 1 (13 ounce) bag tortilla chips
- Pour chicken broth and about a quart of water into large pot. Bring to boil and add chicken, onion and cilantro. Boil for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add tomatoes, tomato sauce and cumin and continue cooking for 20 minutes.
- In separate bowls, place about 5 tortilla chips, a little Monterey jack cheese and a slice of avocado.
- Spoon chicken soup into the bowls over the tortillas, cheese and avocado.
- Can add a dollop of sour cream to the top if desired.
This was great!! I agree, the fajita marinated chicken made all the difference. We will make this over and over again!!