Chicken Fajita Tortilla Soup
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 - 2 lb chicken meat (2 packages chicken tenders, I used 2lbs of ground chicken instead)
- 1 ounce fajita seasoning mix (1 packet)
- 1 ounce taco seasoning (1 packet)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves (5 to 6 sprigs)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 large bell pepper, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced (I did NOT seed my jalapeno)
- 28 ounces diced fire-roasted tomatoes (I used two 14.5oz cans of Hunt fireroasted diced tomatos)
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 12 ounces white corn tortilla chips (1 bag)
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese (I used Monteray jack) or 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese (I used Monteray jack)
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 scallions, chopped
- sour cream (it doesn't say to use sour cream but I did add a spoonfull on top of the soup) (optional)
- fresh cilantro leaves or fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Heat a large skillet with extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add chicken, begin to brown 4 minutes, add fajita seasoning, taco seasoning, thyme, salt and pepper, to taste, onions, bell pepper and jalapeno. Cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes and stock, heat through. While the soup is working, lightly crush some tortilla chips and divide among 4 bowls. You need a couple of handfuls per bowl. Top the chips with a little cheese. Toss the avocado with lime juice. Top the chips with ladles of soup. Garnish soup with avocado, scallions, sour cream if using and cilantro or parsley.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Square Meals Make Round People - Author Unknown <br /><br />Do It With Love---It Will Taste Better - Author Unknown <br /><br />I joined zaar in 2002 but I really didn't use it much on until 2006 after my computer crashed and I lost all my unsaved recipes. Now I post all recipes I've tried or would like to try. I'm actually making it my goal to try almost all the recipes I've posted as soon as I can. I love food and I love to eat and try different recipes. My favorite course is dessert. I love sweets! This leads me to that I did have Gastric Bypass surgery on July 25th 2008. On that note I love baking and cooking a priceless gift passed down from my grammy who I dearly loved and miss deeply. My grammy passed away 1/15/07. She was a wonderful cook and baker and taught me many things and the most valueable things was how to be a wonderful cook and baker like her. I really enjoy searching for new recipes especially here on Zaar. I'm always finding and adding to my cookbook new and exciting recipes. I also enjoy posting recipes here on Zaar as well. I really love collecting different cookbooks. I have over a 100 and growing! I collect mostly Taste Of Home & community cookbooks. The minute I get a cookbook home I sit down and I read my cookbooks from front to back like novels. I work for the Elmira City School District and YWCA. I'm raising my 8 yrs old newphew. I'm a part time college student studing Early Childhood Education, but taking time off and hoping to return soon. I live in Elmira, New York where famous writer Mark Twain did some of his writing and he once lived. I have 1 cats Samantha and 1 dog our newest member MOO MOO (my nieces dog) who are my children as I do not have any human children of my own. I lost four of my very dear children (kitty's) Callie June 2007, Miss Kitty in March 2010, my dog Angel in December 2010, and my other cat Chase in September 2011. I'm recently married on August 12th 2010. I love spending time with my niece 9 yrs old and my newphews 7 & 8 yrs old. I enjoy couponing and trading coupons. I love the internet as there's so much to look at online even though you know where I spend most of my time! I enjoy going to yard sales and estate sales every spring - fall. I love gardening and have many different pretty flowers.</p> 8724441"