Recipe by Carol in Oz
Chicken breasts smothered in a cream sauce that whips up in 30 minutes! Variations of this recipe are endless, think of this as the base limited only by your imagination. Delicious!
Top Review by Dabbler
Fabulous, adaptable recipe. It's been enthusiastically received both times I've made it for my family. I dressed it up with fresh herbs - thyme and oregano - and used chanterelle mushrooms. Funny thing: my son asked me, "What do you call this chicken?" and I replied, "Fabulous!"
- 2 -3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup thickened cream
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup cooked bacon, crumbled (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large non-stick frying pan, heat oil and cook onions until almost soft. Add garlic and mushrooms, cook til mushrooms soften. Set aside and keep warm.
- Chop chicken into bite sized pieces Brown chicken in hot pan, adding more oil if required.
- Add onion, garlic and mushroom mixture back to pan. Stir in chicken broth and Italian herbs.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes, simmering over low heat.
- Add sour cream, thickened cream and bacon, stir through until warmed, DO NOT boil as it will separate. Just heat it gently for a few minutes until the flavours blend.
- For a change, add broccoli pieces in the last few minutes of cooking, or green beans, corn niblets -- serve over pasta if you like or as a dish on it's own. A definite favourite at my house!