Recipe by JoyfulCook
A very tasty boiled fruit cake its not heavy--simple to make and inexpensive. this has become a firm favorite with the family This was given to me well over 40 years ago, by an Australian farmers wife. She used to do all her baking in an old wood stove!
Top Review by katew
Divine cake, Joy !! Bestever boiled fruity my family has eaten !! I made up my own mixed fruit with prunes, cranberries,peel and sultanas. The result was moist and golden and gobbled up fast !!
- 200 g sugar
- 225 ml water
- 30 g margarine
- 375 g mixed fruit
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 275 g self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the sugar, water,margarine, bicarbonate of soda and dried fruit in a medium saucepan and slowly bring to the boil. As soon as it starts to boil, remove and leave to completely cool.
- Add the well beaten egg, mixed spice, pinch of salt, and the flour; mix well.
- Line a 9-inch cake tin. Cook at approximately 170°C for about an hour to an hour and a quarter.
- To stop it drying out while cooling, it’s advisable to drape a clean tea towel over the cake after about half an hour.
- NB - if you are in a hurry for the fruit to cool - place saucepan in some cold water in the sink, iit will cool in under half the time.