Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
The flavours here are complex. Very mild tasting. This is a wonderful addition to a wine & cheese party. But they are equally at home while tailgating!
- 24 large white button mushrooms (approx)
- 1 (7 ounce) can escargot, drained
- 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese or 8 ounces colby, etc
- Wash mushrooms and remove stems (I put the stems in salads or sauté them for steaks, etc).
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly oil the foil (I use an oil sprayer).
- Arrange the mushroom caps tightly together,hollow side up on the foil.
- Stuff each cap with the escargot. Some caps will be able to hold more than one.
- Cover everything with the shredded cheese.
- Bake at 325 for approx 20 minute or until the cheese has fully melted and the mushrooms and escargot are completely heated through. (The less time you cook these the juicier they are, so I tend to cook them a bit longer).
- Enjoy! Think about the subtleties in the taste when you try your first ones.
The first time that I ever had escargot was in a restaurant in Ft Lauderdale, FL - they were in mushroom caps. I was hoping to duplicate that experience with these but the flavor wasn't the same. That said, this is still a really nice recipe that I would suggest to anyone who would like to try escargot. The flavors of the mushrooms and the escargot meld nicely.