Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This recipe appeared in Cooking Light magazine as a vegetable salsa to serve as an appetizer or with chips. I love the pickled jalapenos and carrots that are served in some of the Mexican restaurants here in Texas and this recipe sounds very close; except that it also includes jicama, zucchini and cauliflower. This dish takes some time to prepare; however, the recipe states that it should last up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator, but should be served at room temperature.
- 29.58 ml peppercorns, black
- 14.79 ml thyme, dried
- 14.79 ml marjoram, dried
- 7.39 ml oregano, dried
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 head of garlic, whole
- 591.47 ml carrots, 1/2 inch thick and diagonally sliced
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 2 onions, medium and cut into wedges
- 340.19 g jar jalapeno peppers, pickled and undrained
- 236.59 ml water
- 59.14 ml vinegar, cider
- 946.36 ml cauliflower florets, small
- 709.77 ml jicama, thinly sliced and cut into triangles
- 1419.54 ml zucchini, 1/4 inch thick and diagonally sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place peppercorns, thyme, marjoram, oregano, and bay leaves on a triple layer of cheesecloth. Gather the edges of the cheesecloth together, and tie securely. Remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate the cloves), trim about 1/4 inch from top of garlic. Combine the garlic, carrot, oil and onions in a Dutch oven. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Stir vegetables, add spice bag to onion mixture. Bake an additional 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Peel garlic cloves, place garlic, vegetables and spice bag in a large bowl.
- Drain jalapenos over a bowl, reserving liquid. Place the dutch oven over medium-high heat; stir in the reserved jalapeno juice and vinegar, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add water, and bring to a boil. Add cauliflower and jicama; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; add cauliflower mixture, jalapenos, and zucchini to vegetable mixture. Let stand at room temperature 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. Discard spice bag, cover and store in refrigerator. Vegetable mixture can be stored up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator; serve at room temperature.