Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This recipe came from a co-worker of mine who is a wonderful cook and a wonderful person. This is VERY easy throw together meal. It doesn't look realy appetizing I must say, but the taste and flavor is wonderful! Everyone in my family likes this one...not an easy task either! My youngest son said we should try corn chips instead of the tortilla strips next time. Would be good garnished with a dollop of sour cream on top and maybe even a bit of guacamole.
- 7 corn tortillas, cut in strips (or more)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (from a jar)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 can chopped green chili pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups diced chicken (or more)
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce (any kind you like)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground red chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Cut tortillas in 1/2" strips (set aside).
- Saute onion and garlic in oil.
- Add next 11 ingredients.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered, 1 hour.
- Add tortilla strips and cheese.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with paprika.
I cook soups all the time. I find that if you will do a saute of all vegetables and meats together in as little oil/liquid as you can, and THEN add your liquid body you can really cut the total cooking time tremendously!
This was really terrific! Tasted just like enchiladas and was very easy to put together.
I made this in my crockpot. Last hour threw in the tortillas. It was very good. Next time I will shredd the chicken instead of leaving it chunky. The only thing I did was use low sodium broth. Very flavorful!!!!