Recipe by Charmie777
Empress chicken was my favorite thing to order at the local chinese restaurant. They switched over to "fast food" chinese, and this dish got lost in the translation! I found this recipe online, and it's very close to my beloved dish! Great over rice. NOTE: The amount of cornstarch has been adjusted based upon reviewers' comments.
Top Review by JackieOhNo!
Wow - what can I say that hasn't already been said before? This was absolutely delicious. Rather than 8 small hot pepper, I used 1 jalapeno and a handful of dried hot chili peppers. The heat was perfect. I also added 1 large diced red bell pepper. Other than that, I made this exactly as posted, using 1/4 cup cornstarch in the marinade and 1/2 cup to coat the chicken. Raves all around! Served this with jasmine rice. Made for ZWT6.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup dark soy sauce (tamari)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups green onions, minced (one bunch)
- 8 small hot peppers, diced (I used jalapenos)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a jar and shake vigorously. Store in fridge until ready.
- Mix chicken with 1/4 cup dark soy sauce. Stir in egg.
- Add cornstarch and mix chicken until coated.
- Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Place a small amount of oil in wok and heat to very hot.
- Add onions and peppers and stir fry 30 seconds.
- Stir in sauce mixture (shake again first).
- Cook until thick. If it gets too thick, add some water until desired consistency.
- Add chicken and cook until hot and bubbly.
- Serve over hot rice.