Empress chicken was my favorite thing to order at the local chinese restaurant. They switched over to "fast food" chinese, and this dish got lost in the translation! I found this recipe online, and it's very close to my beloved dish! Great over rice. NOTE: The amount of cornstarch has been adjusted based upon reviewers' comments.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup dark soy sauce (tamari)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups green onions, minced (one bunch)
- 8 small hot peppers, diced (I used jalapenos)
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a jar and shake vigorously. Store in fridge until ready.
- Mix chicken with 1/4 cup dark soy sauce. Stir in egg.
- Add cornstarch and mix chicken until coated.
- Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Place a small amount of oil in wok and heat to very hot.
- Add onions and peppers and stir fry 30 seconds.
- Stir in sauce mixture (shake again first).
- Cook until thick. If it gets too thick, add some water until desired consistency.
- Add chicken and cook until hot and bubbly.
- Serve over hot rice.
My son picked this recipe for me to make, and I'm so glad he did! It is delicious. There was a hint of heat, but not too much. A perfect treat for my weekend meal. Made for Culinary Quest Summer 2014. Thanks for sharing!
The Chinese restaurant is a two hour drive from my home and after making mostly stir fries this felt just like eating out. I left out the hot peppers,so DDs can enjoy it as well too (they prefered the chicken without the sauce). I wish zaar had more than five stars,because this one is getting ten. What a great way to end ZWT6. It was the last recipe for me and also the best one. Did I mention that DH was so quiet while eating it? He's really a talker,but when something this yummy comes up I don't hear a peep out of him.
Wow - what can I say that hasn't already been said before? This was absolutely delicious. Rather than 8 small hot pepper, I used 1 jalapeno and a handful of dried hot chili peppers. The heat was perfect. I also added 1 large diced red bell pepper. Other than that, I made this exactly as posted, using 1/4 cup cornstarch in the marinade and 1/2 cup to coat the chicken. Raves all around! Served this with jasmine rice. Made for ZWT6.