Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
A Spanish version of the turnover. Posted for ZWT 2.
- 1⁄2 lb beef sirloin steak, trimmed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1⁄4 cup thick salsa
- 2 tablespoons beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Trim fat from steak and cut into 1/4" cubes and toss with seasonings to coat.
- Saute beef in oil in a pan over medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
- Remove from pan, add onions, and saute 1 minute.
- Stir in corn, salsa, broth, and tomato paste; simmer 1 minute or until thick.
- Return meat and accumulated juices to pan and simmer briefly.
- Spread out on a small baking sheet.
- Chill in the freezer briefly (do not let freeze solid) while you prepare the pastry.
- Cut four circles from each pastry sheet.
- Make an egg wash by whisking the egg and water together.
- Remove filling from freezer and return it to room temperature.
- Place 2 T of filling in center of each pastry circle.
- Moisten the edge of each circle with water, fold pastry over meat mixture, and seal dough by pressing edges with a fork.
- Repeat with remaining meat mixture and pastry.
- Place empanadas on a baking sheet coated with nonstick spray.
- Brush each empanada with remaining egg wash and pierce the top with a fork to vent steam.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden.
- Melt butter for the sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour; cook about 1 minute.
- Gradually add milk, whisking constantly until incorporated.
- Gradually add in cheese until melted; season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over empanadas.