Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from a friend who served it on New Year's Eve. It was so moist and tasty I had to share it. I can't remember why she said it was called "Elvis Presley" cake. If you know, please let me know. Anyway, it is very easy and very good.
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 (16 ounce) box powdered sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed pineapple in syrup
- chopped pecans, optional 12 ounces of semi-sweet coconut
- In a 9x13 pan prepare yellow cake according to package directions.
- While the cake is cooking, put the can of pineapple (including syrup) in a small sauce pan.
- Add 1 cup sugar to the pineapple and cook over medium heat being careful not to brown the pineapple.
- In another small saucepan heat the cream cheese and 1/2 box of powdered sugar.
- When melted and heated it should resemble an icing.
- More powdered sugar may be added to achieve the desired look.
- Remove cake from oven and punch holes all over with the handle of a wooden spoon or similar instrument.
- Pour the hot pineapple mix over the top of the cake.
- Let it absorb into the cake.
- Drizzle the icing mix over the cake.
- Top with chopped pecans if desired.
Guava girl: this is a fab recipe have used it over and over for years. It was called the Elvis Presley cake because it was the one he asked for most often. His grandmother made it for him. I always think back fondly to Elvis as I eat/ bake this.
My husband thought this was a silly cake when I baked it for a party. But, after the first bite he was trying to get everyone to eat another dessert so that he could take this one home for himself. Didn't work though, it was gone in a flash.
I made this cake yesterday from Country Cook and it had all the same ingredients, except that you use 3 cups of confectioners sugar in the frosting instead of 2, as stated in this recipe. The cake was moist and delicious! I will be making this again in the future!!!