Recipe by Cheri B
From Taste of Home- Jo Maasberg, Farson Wy. I have made this with venison/beef 50/50 and we all loved it, served with cornmuffins.
Top Review by Grace4Gayle
This was delicious! It was my first time cooking with elk burger. I followed the recipe exactly and I loved it. The pork and beans was really different but added so much flavor to this dish.
- 2 lbs ground elk or 2 lbs buffalo
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (28 ounce) can pork & beans, undrained
- 3 tablespoons salsa
- 1 tablespoon salsa
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven, cook meat, onion & garlic, over med heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain
- Stir in remaining ingredients bring to boil.
- reduce to simmer, cover & two hours.
- This is what the book say.
- My notes:.
- Instead of simmering on the stove for 2 hours put into crock pot on med heat for the day, or put into the oven on 300 with lid.
- We like more salsa,.and have also used Rotela Brand Tomatoes and Green Chili's subing for All or 1/2 the tomato's.
- and 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
- It's just one of those things we how cook do-tweeking others recipes and subing as needed.
- Be creative to your own taste.