Red Wine Carnivore Elk Chili
photo by NevadaFoodies
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs ground elk
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 375 ml red wine
- 1 large onion
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 5 stalks celery
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Heat heavy stock pot with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Add ground elk and cook throughly until the meat has browned. Remove all elk to a seperate bowl.
- Add additional 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, onions, celery, peppers and garlic. Saute until onions are translucent and soft. 5-6 minutes.
- Add 1/2 bottle red wine direct stock pot and vegetables. Deglaze being sure to get all bits on the bottom of the pot.
- Add cooked elk meat, tomatoes, tomato paste, chili seasonings and cup of water.
- Simmer chili for 2-3 hours being sure to stir periodically.
- Additional Garnishes: chopped onion (red, white or green), sour cream, diced cilantro, fresh diced tomatoes, grated cheese, chili peppers, hot sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I enjoy everything outdoors... especially hunting, fishing and taking pictures of Nevada's Landscapes. My most enjoyable hobby has been developing creative and easy recipes for cooking up our recent Elk and Goose meat. I developed NevadaFoodies to share these recipes and photographs of both the food and the great Nevada outdoors.