Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
We coaxed this recipe from a dear neighbor who was a great Indiana cook. Others versions of this pie posted here are not quite like the one I remember and my family loves. So I'm posting it here for safe keeping and family access!
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Combine sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan (or 6-cup microwave-safe bowl).
- Gradually whisk in the milk, stirring until smooth.
- Heat over medium-low heat (or microwave (700 Watts) on high power for 3 - 4 minutes) till it comes just to a boil and is somewhat thickened, stirring often. Don't over-cook here!
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour into the pie shell (I use a "deep-dish" pie shell).
- Dot the top with the butter slices.
- Sprinkle with the cinnamon.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 375º.
- Reduce heat to 325º F and continue baking for 20 to 25 more minutes.
- Cool for 45 - 60 minutes before slicing.
- Note: filling may bubble over, but that makes the edge crust delicious! You may want to be prepared by placing a drip pan underneath the pie as it bakes.