Recipe by michellemo87
Very delicious casserole that even the kids will love. You can use any noodles really or mix together leftovers you have. Also, you can use ground chicken or turkey instead of beef and neufchatel cream cheese instead of regular cream cheese to make it a bit healthier. You can prepare this up to 24 hours ahead of time and backs for an hour.
Top Review by Mary M.
Snow on the ground, temp at 12 degrees F, five hungry teen-age boys, lunchtime.......Voila! This disappeared faster than I could say 8-layer casserole....right down to the scrapings! I gave it a 3 rather than a 5 because, for adults, I'd like more spark....red pepper maybe, jalapeños...something to kick up the spiciness, and it would be perfect. I'd even serve it to guests with a wedge salad and a good glass of cab. Enjoy!
- 3 cups dried medium noodles
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion (1 small)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease 2 quart casserole or 2 quart square baking dish. Prepare noodles and set aside.
- Meanwhile, brown ground meat in a large skillet and drain off the fat. Stir in tomato sauce, basil, sugar, garlic, salt, and pepper into skillet. Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Beat together the sour cream and cream cheese in a medium bowl until smooth. Stir in the milk and onion.
- Layer in prepared dish: half the noodles (2 cups), half of the meat mixture (1.5 cups), half of the cream cheese mixture (1 cup), and all of the spinach. Top with remaining meat mixture and noodles. Refrigerate remaining cream cheese mixture.
- Cover casserole with lightly greased foil. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 45 minutes. Spread with remaining cream cheese mixture, sprinkle with cheddar cheese, and bake an additional 10 minutes uncovered.
- Let stand 10 minuted before serving.