Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is extremely simple to prepare. However, in order to achieve a perfect result, I recommend that you marinate the chicken for 24 hours. It really does make a difference to the flavour. This chicken dish is lovely served with rice and a spinach yoghurt salad.Borani Esfenaj.
- 500 g chicken breast fillets
- 4 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- salt and black pepper
- Wash the chicken fillets well and dry with kitchen towel.
- Whisk all marinade ingredients together.
- Place chicken in a glass dish, pour over marinade & ensure each piece is coated in the marinade.
- Cover glass dish with cling film & leave to marinate for as long as possible in refrigerator.
- It is best to begin preparation for this dish the day before in order to obtain the best result.
- Next day: Remove dish from refrigerator.
- Allow it to sit for 15 minutes at room temperature.
- Pre-heat grill and place fillets on the grill pan, brushing with remainder of marinade.
- Cook for approximately 25 minutes, brushing with marinade, turning once during cooking.
- Chicken should be moist and golden, but not tough and overcooked.
- If chicken browns too soon reduce grill heat to moderate.
I made this for my boyfriend who is from Egypt and he really loved it. He told me that it was very authentic and tasty. I could only marinate for 8 hours and I baked them at 375 for 40 minutes, it was GREAT, thanks for the recipe!!!
DEFINATELY let it marinade for 24 hours, TRUE!
As these very simple, easy to put together flavours really soak through!
DEFINATELY a keeper for me!
Will be adding this chicken shredded in a Chicken Lasagna Recipe!
Simple and worked well for the older chicken I had to use up, gave it a nice flavour and covered the stronger flavour that the chicken had. I served this with rice with sharia and a fresh salad with sumaq and a yogurt cucumber salad with freshly squeezed lemon juice. Good combo. I may make this again.