Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Amazing egg dish my mom has made every Christmas morning for a long time. My picky fiance loves it and decided to call them "basil cakes", but they aren't actually cakes... Anyway, it's great, try it with hashbrowns or country potatoes.
- Melt margerine in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and basil.
- Add milk.
- Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat.
- Spoon 2 tbsp into 4 individual pyrex/souffle dishes.
- Break an egg into each.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon remaining sauce over each.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 16-18 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and put back for another 2-3 minutes until melted.
A very enjoyable way of serving eggs! Made it this time just to see how it would work, & another time I'll jazz 'em up with some baked potato wedges! Thanks for sharing this great recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this fall's round of Pick A Chef]
A very easy recipe that turns out a very fancy breakfast! Great flavor. Would be good with Swiss instead of mozzarella, also. Made for Fall 2011 PAC game.