Recipe by AmberRiot
Amazing egg dish my mom has made every Christmas morning for a long time. My picky fiance loves it and decided to call them "basil cakes", but they aren't actually cakes... Anyway, it's great, try it with hashbrowns or country potatoes.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
A very enjoyable way of serving eggs! Made it this time just to see how it would work, & another time I'll jazz 'em up with some baked potato wedges! Thanks for sharing this great recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this fall's round of Pick A Chef]
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt margerine in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and basil.
- Add milk.
- Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat.
- Spoon 2 tbsp into 4 individual pyrex/souffle dishes.
- Break an egg into each.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon remaining sauce over each.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 16-18 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and put back for another 2-3 minutes until melted.