Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
A little like Scotch eggs and lovely served with a savory tomato sauce, this old recipe comes from the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Cooking time approximate.
- 6 eggs
- oil or fat, for frying
Thick White Sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter (for best results, no substitutions)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- To prepare white sauce: melt butter and blend in flour, salt and pepper. Add milk gradually, stirring constantly until mixture boils and thickens.
- Poach eggs for five minutes.
- Dip the eggs carefully into white sauce, cool and dip into fine bread crumbs.
- Preheat oil or fat to 375F and deep-fry eggs until golden brown.