I don't really like eggplant, but I loved this curry. I couldn't get enough of it, and two hours after eating a heaping bowl, I went back for what little was left over, and ate that. It's comfort food, and so soulful. Maybe it has something to do with the butter everything is sautéed in? This is adapted from a Bon Appetit article, and the directions are long, BUT once you get going, it's not hard to do. I used a curry mix that I like by Sadaf brands; use your favorite or make one from scratch! Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- clarified butter
- 12 boiling onions, blanched and peeled
- 10 okra pods, halved
- 1 -2 medium Japanese eggplant, halved and cut in diagonal chunks
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut in diagonal chunks
- 1 1/2 lbs tomatoes, diced
- 1Clarify butter by placing a 1/4 stick of butter in the microwave for 1 minute.
- 2Scoop the foam off the top, and use the clear, golden top to sauté your veggies with, and discard the milky substance on the bottom.
- 3Sauté veggies in this order, one at a time, then place the veg in a large bowl you've conveniently placed near the stove.
- 4In a heated pan, pour in one tbsp of butter, add a bit with each new veggie:.
- 5Onions, two minutes.
- 6Okra, 4-5 minutes.
- 7Eggplant, 6 minutes - should be a bit browned on skinless sides.
- 8Carrots, 3 minutes, adding the tomatoes to them for another minute or two.
- 9Scoop out carrot & tomato mixture, leaving any juice behind.
- 10Add diced onion, garlic & ginger into sauté pan with another tbsp of butter (or ghee - same thing), sauté for about five minutes.
- 11Add curry into mixture and stir around for a bit.
- 12Pour in coconut milk.
- 13Then add the veggies and let them bubble around for about ten minutes.
- 14Add salt to taste, and extra cayenne to make your curry spicier.
- 15Serve with hot basmati rice.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant Curry
Serving Size: 1 (543 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 416.5
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 91.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.2 g
- Sugars 30.3 g
- Protein 9.8 g