Recipe by s'kat
My fiancee loves having meatballs with pasta, but I sometimes tire of having so much meat! I've found these to be a great compromise.
Top Review by Tara
You would never be able to tell these werent made with beef if they were in a pot of spaghetti sauce. They were really good, I had mine on the side with a little sauce. I used fresh bread crumbs, ran out and threw in about 8 crushed crackers to top up. I rolled them when they were really moist but could form a ball and they were nice and moist after cooking too.
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄3 cup romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- black pepper, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Slice eggplant and sprinkle with salt.
- Let sit 10 minutes to draw out water.
- Rinse and pat dry.
- Saute on stovetop with a splash of olive oil and about 1/4 cup water until eggplant is soft.
- Remove and chop finely.
- Mix everything but the breadcrumbs when eggplant is cool.
- Then add breadcrumbs and mix until you get the consistency you want to form the balls.
- Place in a generously olive oiled pan about l inch apart and bake at 400 degrees until golden brown, about 40 60 minutes.
- Turn halfway through baking to ensure even browning.