Recipe by Ozzzie
Delicious and easy vegetarian recipe. I char-grill fresh sliced eggplant using my George Foreman grill, but you can buy it ready made from the deli. I also find it easier sometimes to omit the thyme leaves and lemon rind and use instead a bottled dried mix of lemon, basil and thyme from the supermarket.
Top Review by ShortieNJ
this was really good. i think the only thing i'd change is to leave out the balsamic. I'll be perfectly honest, mine ended up as an eggplant ziti - everything mixed together, since my eggplants were very small. But, i would definitely make this again. Thanks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 (425 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 500 g fresh ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons lemon thyme, leaves
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated
- 20 slices chargrilled eggplants
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius and lightly grease a square baking dish.
- Heat oil in a fry pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic, cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until sauce is thick.
- Combine, ricotta, milk, chives, thyme and lemon rind (add salt and pepper if required).
- Spread ricotta mixture evenly over slices of eggplant, then roll up lengthways.
- Spoon sauce into baking dish and top with eggplant rolls.
- Cover and bake for approximately 25 minutes or until sauce is bubbling.