For a change of pace, try this eggplant and rice dressing to serve with your meats - delicious! Prep time does not include cooking of rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb lean ground beef
- 3/4 lb ground lean pork or 3/4 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 slice bacon, diced
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 medium eggplants, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage or 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- cayenne pepper or cajun seasoning
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1 cup cooked wild rice (you may omit if you use 3 cups long-grain rice)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1In a large heavy pot over medium high heat, brown the beef, pork, and bacon.
- 2Add the chopped onions, celery, bell peppers, and garlic and continue to cook, stirring often, until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add the eggplant, broth, and sage, and simmer until eggplant softens, about 15 minutes.
- 4Mash the cooked eggplant with a fork and season to taste with salt, black pepper, and cayenne (or Cajun seasoning).
- 5Add cooked rice and parsley, stir well to mix.
- 6Place in serving dish and enjoy!
- 7Notes: other possible additions include- for the holidays, dried cranberries, currants, or golden raisins; shrimp; curry powder could also be tasty.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant (Aubergine) and Rice Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (410 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 364.7
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 60.1 mg
- Sodium 184.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 21.8 g