Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This recipe can be quite salty so adjust the amount of salt to your own personal taste. Courtesy of Emeril Lagasse.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1 lb.)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausage and cook until brown.
- Add the eggplant, salt, cayenne, and black pepper.
- Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, or until slightly soft.
- Add the onions, bell peppers, and celery and saute for 2 to 3 minutes, or until slightly wilted.
- Add the thyme, oregano, and garlic.
- Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock and parsley and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring.
- Remove from the heat and add the bread crumbs and cheese.
- Mix well.
- Spoon into a casserole dish and bake for about 45 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown.
- Serve hot.