Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Serve this delicious, hearty stew with fresh hot baked cornbread or crusty bread and a simple green salad for a delicious family meal. Recipe is from about.com's Southern food site.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 12 -16 ounces spicy sausage or 12 -16 ounces andouille sausages, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) cansmall red beans or 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained
- 1 cup chopped spinach or 1 cup escarole
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning or 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash leaves oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Sauté onions, carrots, celery, eggplant, bell pepper, sliced sausage, and garlic in olive oil until lightly browned.
- Add broth, beans, tomatoes, greens, and seasonings; simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, until vegetables are tender.