Spicy African Chicken Stew
photo by Marlitt
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (3 lb) chicken, deboned and cut pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon curry
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted natural-style peanut butter (I only use 1Tbsp)
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- cilantro or parsley, to garnish
- In a large dutch oven heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add chicken, and brown.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium low, and add garlic, onion and potato, celery and carrot to the pan.
- Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Season with cumin, curry, black pepper, red pepper and salt.
- Return browned chicken and accumulated juices and add water to the pan.
- Place lid on pot and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove lid, and stir in the peanut butter and garbanzo beans.
- Make sure the peanut butter is blended into it. Replace lid to simmer for 10 more minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat, adjust seasoning, sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Tasty. I made this for the two of us and used one tiny chicken breast (1/3 #) so the dish would be less meat centric, but kept the other portions pretty much the same, and it worked well. I also used less salt and made it far less spicy in the pepper/red pepper/curry department (I make my own Recipe #174350, so it is really hot). The cilantro garnish really adds something to this, I wouldn't skip it. Really good flavors.
see 3 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live in Canada our winters are far to long and cold. I like to try new recipes. I don't really have a favorite cookbook. I enjoy reading fiction, my friends,good conversation,gardening,and the great outdoors. Love to travel, by plane, boat or automobile. My pet peeves are inconsiderate drivers who stop on a main road holding up traffic. <br />I'd really enjoy spending some time camping IN THE SUMMER by a beach or go the caribbean in the winter-- to the beach at one of the all inclusive clubs they always have a lot of different foods to try.. <br /><br /><a href=http://www.amazingcounter.com><img src=http://c9.amazingcounters.com/counter.php?i=1862985&c=5589268 border=0 alt=HTML Counter /></a><a href=http://www.onlinecomputercoupons.com>Dell</a> <a href=http://www.onlinecomputercoupons.com/dell-server.htm>Server Computers</a></p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p><br />Participation & Awards:</p> <p><a href=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/ZWT7%20Banners/9d968c99.gif></a></p> <p><img src=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/ZWT7%20Banners/9d968c99.gif alt= /></p> <p><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/berriesblinkie.gif alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%203/ZWT3-Participation.gif alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://www.satsleuth.com/cooking/RecipeSwap2.JPG alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%204/ZWTAB-tg.gif alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/Sharon123/NZT-2-AnnaciasZaarTagbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Annacia's banner for Zaar Tag /><img src=http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/Sharon123/Copyoftag300-banner.jpg border=0 alt=Susie's Banner for Newest Zaar Tag /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/ZaarStar-AMBanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket> /></p>