Algerian Chicken Stew
This recipe is from "Extending the Table" and is meant to be eaten with couscous. If you prefer, substitute goat or lamb for the chicken.
- Ready In:
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups fresh green beans, cut
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced (optional)
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley (optional)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 small zucchini, sliced (or 1 medium)
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained (also known as chick-peas)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (to taste)
- In a large saucepan combine broth, bouillon, chopped chicken, onion, green beans, carrots, cumin, basil, garlic, bay leaves, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and cook about 8 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and zucchini and cook briefly.
- Add garbanzo beans and red pepper.
- Cover and cook until heated through.
- Serve over steaming bowls of couscous.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 2 more