Recipe by Barb Witherspoon
I found this on www.chow.com. I'm posting it so I will have it handy, but I'm happy to share it with all of you. Chow.com has other interesting popcorn ball flavors such as curry-coconut, so you might want to check them out.
- 9 cups plain popped popcorn
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces (1/2 stick)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pecans, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat a large heatproof bowl with butter, vegetable oil, or cooking spray and place popcorn in the bowl.
- Place sugar, corn syrup, water, vinegar, and salt in a medium saucepan and stir to combine. Place over high heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Bring to a boil and cook until mixture registers 260°F on a candy/fat thermometer, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter, nutmeg, and vanilla until melted and smooth.
- Immediately drizzle sugar mixture over popcorn. Add pecans and stir continuously with a rubber spatula, scraping the bottom of the bowl, until popcorn is thoroughly coated and cool enough to handle, about 3 minutes.
- Using buttered or oiled hands, tightly press mixture (it may still be a bit warm) into 3-inch rounds. Place on waxed or parchment paper to cool completely, about 15 to 20 minutes.