Recipe by Pajamama2
This recipe was given to me when I was needing to make a "fancy" cake. It has become a favorite. The cake is so moist and the frosting is delicious! This cake will make you look like you went to a lot of work to make but really didn't.
Top Review by Jessie_loves_desserts
This is a great cake recipe. It was night and I had a mood for chocolate cake, but I didn't have any eggs in the house! This needs a little more chocolatey taste, but it was great! I used hot chocolate mix instead of cocoa, and it had a ok taste. I also made it into cupcakes without frosting. Good!
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Add oil, vinegar, water and vanilla.
- Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour into greased 9x13pan or(2)8 inch round pans. It will be runny.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.
- Let cool.
- For frosting, cook flour and milk together until thick. Let cool completely.
- In large bowl beat margarine and crisco for 4 minutes.
- Add sugar and beat 4 minutes.
- Stir in cooled cooked mixture and vanilla and beat another 4 minutes.
- Frost when cake is cool. I make swirls and add either chocolate shavings or a cut up strawberry on top to make it look fancy.