1 hr 30 mins
Another great recipe from Orangette.blogspot.com. Blogger Molly adapted this recipe from the book, HomeBaking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Tradition around the World. My addition/modification is the addition of lime zest.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 bananas (overripe)
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut (dried and shredded)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest, finely grated
- 1 1/2 tablespoons demerara sugar or 1 1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter a standard-size loaf pan.
- 2In shallow bowl mash the bananas with a fork until it is liquidy but still lumpy. Set the banana mush aside.
- 3In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- 4In a large bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer), beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vinegar, rum and lime zest and beat to mix well. Add the banana purée and the flour mixture alternately, about 1 cup at a time, beginning with the banana and beating to just incorporate. Use a spatula to fold in any flour that has not been absorbed, and stir in the coconut. Do not overmix.
- 5Scrape the batter – it will be thick – into the prepared pan. Smooth the top, and sprinkle evenly with the demerara sugar. Bake for 50-65 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack for about 20 minutes; then turn the loaf out of the pan and allow it to cool completely.
- 6This loaf will keep, sealed airtight, for three to four days.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggless Caribbean Banana Bread
Serving Size: 1 (89 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 307.4
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 96.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 22.6 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: