Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
My family's favorite banana bread. We never have eggs around, so this recipe makes it easy to enjoy this tasty treat just about any time.
- 177.44 ml all-purpose flour
- 177.44 ml whole wheat flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 118.29 ml applesauce
- 59.16 ml butter or 59.16 ml margarine, melted
- 1.23 ml vanilla extract
- 118.29 ml chocolate chips (optional)
- 118.29 ml chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the first five (dry) ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas well.
- Stir the butter or margarine, vanilla extract and applesauce into the bananas.
- Add the banana mixture into the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Mix gently by hand, just enough to form a thick, clumpy batter. If the mixture seems too dry, add more mashed banana or applesauce to adjust the consistency.
- Fold in chocolate chips and/or walnuts, if using.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or until the bread is a deep golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
This is a good recipe with one exception, too much salt. Next time I make this I will use 1/4 teaspoon. I added 1 teaspoon baking powder and cut down on the sugar by adding agave nectar. moist recipe.
Awesome and very easy recipe.
Awesome Recipe! I am new to baking and have already fallen in love with it! Followed every letter of this recipe and the bread turned out great!! Thanks:)