Prep 2 hrs
Cook 45 mins
This crusty loaf has a rich, savory quality and a beautiful golden color.
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Put all ingredients in the bread machine pan.
- Select "Dough" cycle.
- When the machine beeps, remove the dough from the machine and turn onto a lightly floured surface.
- Punch down and roll up jelly-roll-style into a cylinder, tucking ends under to seal.
- Place seam side down in prepared loaf pan.
- Cover and let it rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Bake loaf until browned, abou 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove to rack to cool.
- Note: If the bread appears to be browning too quickly, tent it with aluminum foil for the final 10 minutes of baking.
This bread is AMAZING! I wanted a recipe with eggs and milk in it but didn't want to bake a challah. Although I'm not the kind who would usually try a recipe that wasn't reviewed, this recipe looked pretty good and so I went ahead anyway. I don't have a bread machine, so I did it all manually. I combined all the wet ingredients and then added 1 cup of flour at a time.. I kneaded for 10 minutes and let it rise for 1 hour (first rise). And then I shaped it into a loaf and let it rise for another hour.. I can't begin to tell you how GREAT it smelled when it was baked! Just beautiful! Since I subbed butter for the oil.. it had an incredibly buttery aroma! HMM. :) I'm sooo keeping this recipe. Thanks Chef Glaucia!