Recipe by lazyme
I have no idea who Edna is, but this sounds like a good way to cook up some Southern greens. From Southern Living, August 2000.
- 4 1⁄2 lbs fresh greens (collard, mustard, or turnip)
- 1 lb salt pork or 1 lb smoked pork shoulder
- 3 quarts water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove and discard stems and discolored spots from greens.
- Wash greens thoroughly; drain and cut greens into strips.
- Set aside.
- Slice salt pork at 1/4-inch intervals, cutting to, but not through, the skin.
- Combine salt pork, water, and pepper in a large Dutch oven; bring mixture to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
- Add greens, and cook, uncovered, 17 minutes or until tender.
- Serve with a slotted spoon.