Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 17 mins
I have no idea who Edna is, but this sounds like a good way to cook up some Southern greens. From Southern Living, August 2000.
- Remove and discard stems and discolored spots from greens.
- Wash greens thoroughly; drain and cut greens into strips.
- Set aside.
- Slice salt pork at 1/4-inch intervals, cutting to, but not through, the skin.
- Combine salt pork, water, and pepper in a large Dutch oven; bring mixture to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
- Add greens, and cook, uncovered, 17 minutes or until tender.
- Serve with a slotted spoon.
Who doesn't love collards cooked with salt pork? Reminds me of my Grannie! Enjoyed with fried catfish, cornbread and black eyed peas!
That would be Edna Lewis, a famous African-American Southern chef . Smile